This delicious pretty in pink potato salad mixed with apples gets its natural color from red beets. It’s a simple and easy recipe to prepare and definitely something to think about for that Valentine’s Day menu. The apples make it lighter than a traditional all-potato salad.
The apples are a pleasant surprise as you bite into unexpected crunchy sweetness. I love boiled red beets and can eat them just by themselves. They fit perfectly well tinting the salad a pretty pink color.
I used only about ¾ cup low-fat mayonnaise. I would say this is a pretty healthy salad.
If you want your potato salad on the creamy side, slice the potatoes slightly smaller and add more mayonnaise.
You can control the shade of pink by reducing or increasing the red beets. I was planning on using two whole red beets but ended up using 1 ½. I used golden potatoes, but any kind of potato will work. You want the crunchy texture of sweet fresh apples, so use the freshest apples you can find.
Keep the potato salad cold in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container.
Pretty in pink potato salad– delicious, easy and healthy.
- 15 small golden potatoes (3 ½ pounds) peeled and sliced into ¾ inch cubes
- 1 – 2 red beets
- 3 medium apples
- ¾ cup low-fat or non-fat mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large saucepot with water enough to cover the potatoes. Cook on medium high heat until boiling, then reduce to medium low and simmer just until tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let cool.
- Peel the red beets. Fill a medium saucepot with water enough to cover the beets. Cook the beets on medium heat until tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 – 22 minutes. Drain, cool and slice into cubes.
- Peel and slice the apples into ¾ -inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, add the sliced beets to the mayonnaise and mix until the mayonnaise has turned an even pink color all throughout.
- Place the potatoes and apples in a large bowl. Add the mayonnaise mixed with the beets and gently mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep chilled in an air tight container.
Pretty in Pink Potato Salad