You can have your cake and eat your cupcakes too with one recipe that will give you both a delicious dark chocolate cake and cupcakes. A cake is usually saved until dessert, but if you bake 3 dozen mini cupcakes as well, then you can start sampling ahead of time. The frostings used on both the cake and the cupcakes are all from the same recipes to make best use of time.
Baking a cake and cupcakes would be great for the holidays, greeting the New Year, birthdays, anniversaries, or any occasion—any time is party time when you have a cake and cupcakes.
I also made chocolate cupcakes in an earlier post, from a different recipe.
I filled the mini cupcake pans first to make 3 dozen cupcakes. Then I divided the remaining batter among three 6-inch cake pans. You can also use two 8-inch round cake pans instead. I baked the cake layers first before the cupcakes.
The chocolate icing starts out soft and loose and will thicken after about 30 – 45 minutes. While it was still soft, I iced the cake using a small offset spatula. Decorating the cake was pretty much free form. I just filled the icing bags and piped away. I made little flower designs with leaves and spirals. I used leaf tip 352 for both the petals and the leaves and tip 2 for the little curly lines.
By the time I was done with the flowers, the chocolate icing was already thick enough to hold its shape and piped. I piped a border using the thickened chocolate icing using a small star tip 21. I used the same tip to cover the mini cupcakes with chocolate icing. Then I used a second star tip 21 to pipe pink rosebuds on the cupcakes.
The chocolate icing and frosting go very well with this deep, dark and delicious chocolate cake.
Mini cupcakes are little nuggets of simple deliciousness.
If you bake all the batter in three 8-inch or 9-inch round cake pans, you’ll still end up with a pretty tall cake.
But then again, it’s nice to have cupcakes too so you won’t have to wait until party time to enjoy the cake.
- 3.15 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (90 g)
- 1 ¼ cups skim milk (296 g)
- 1 ½ cups hot water (314 g)
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee (10 g)
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups regular mayonnaise (not non-fat or reduced fat) (290 g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (7 g)
- 2 ¾ cups granulated sugar (565 g)
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (352 g)
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened cocoa powder (115 g)
- 2 ¾ teaspoons baking soda (15 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder (8 g)
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt (8 g)
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon (1.5 g)
- 4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (1.5 pounds / 680 g)
- 1 ¾ cups heavy cream (398 g)
- 1 cup butter, softened (227 g)
- 3 cups marshmallow cream (432 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract (6 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract (4 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons skim milk (9 g)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (400 g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray three 6-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Line mini-muffin tins with cupcake liners to make 36 mini cupcakes.
- Mix coffee and hot water and mix well to dissolve.
- Place milk in saucepan and heat until simmering.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Pour the hot coffee and the hot milk over the chocolate. Let stand for about 2 minutes then whisk until well blended. Set aside to cool.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a mixer bowl, using a flat beater attachment, beat the mayonnaise, then gradually add sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix.
- Add ⅓ of the sifted dry ingredients. Alternate with ½ of the mocha liquid mixing well. Add ½ of the remaining dry ingredients, then add remaining mocha liquid mixing well. End with the last ⅓ of the dry ingredients, mixing just until smooth and well blended. Batter will be loose.
- With a small cookie scoop, fill the lined muffin tins first, to only about ⅔ full.
- Divide the remaining batter among the 3 prepared cake pans.
- First bake the cake layers for about 30 – 34 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the center of the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Let cake layers cool in the pans until the sides retract from the pan, about 10 – 15 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans and allow to cool completely.
- Bake mini cupcakes for about 12 – 15 min. Cupcakes will mound in the center when done. Allow to cool completely.
- Beat butter until smooth. Add marshmallow crème and beat until blended.
- Add vanilla extract, almond extract and milk. Mix well.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Separate a small amount of frosting, about 1 ½ cups, into a bowl and tint it with green food color. Use the back of a spoon or silicon spatula to mix.
- Tint the rest of the frosting pink or any desired color.
- Place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl.
- Pour the cream into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let stand for about 3 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Icing will be loose at first but will be firm enough to hold its shape after about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Place one layer of chocolate cake on a cake plate. Spread about ¾ - 1 cup pink frosting on surface.
- Stack second layer of chocolate cake. Spread about ¾ - 1 cup pink frosting on surface.
- Stack third layer of chocolate cake. While chocolate icing is still loose, spread all over the cake using an offset spatula. Let the remaining chocolate icing stand in the bowl to thicken so it can hold its shape when piped, about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Fill an icing bag with pink frosting and use leaf tip number 352 to pipe pink petals for the flowers. Fill another icing bag with green frosting and use leaf tip number 352 to pipe leaves.
- Use tip number 2 to pipe curly vines with pink frosting, if desired. Use a clean tip number 2 to fill the flower centers with green frosting.
- Fill an icing bag with chocolate icing that is now thickened. Use a small star tip number 21 to pipe borders on the cake.
- Pipe swirls of chocolate on each cupcake using star tip 21.
- Pipe pink frosting rosebuds on the chocolate swirl with star tip 21.
Dark Chocolate Cake and Cupcakes