These chocolate fudge frosted sugar cookies are the easiest to decorate. I used a 1M tip to pipe the chocolate frosting. The flavor of the frosting is not overly sweet so that it doesn’t overwhelm the chocolate. It’s texture also gives a nice contrast to the cookies. I find it easier and faster to decorate cookies this way rather than use a sugar glaze.
I made the cookie dough ahead of time and froze it. It’s really convenient when you can just take out as much dough as needed and bake as few or as many cookies as you want. The frosting can be made ahead of time as well and be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days after which I would keep it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Once taken out of the refrigerator, just microwave it for a few seconds to soften.
We ate out one day, skipped dessert and when we got home, I simply took out some dough from the freezer, rolled it and popped it in the oven. They were done in about 10 minutes and all I had to do was frost them. We had dessert in less than half an hour.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar with a flat beater attachment until light and fluffy about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Add vanilla, and almond extract and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- On low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter and mix well until smooth. Do not overbeat.
- Wrap dough in saran wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. Dough can also be frozen for later use.
- When you are ready to bake, heat oven to 350 F. Roll dough out, cut into shapes and bake for 6 - 10 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk milk in a pot and heat until boiling. Remove from heat and add confectioners sugar all at once. Whisk until smooth and cool to lukewarm.
- Beat butter until creamy. Add salt, vanilla then gradually add the sugar mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat until smooth and shiny.
- Fill a piping bag with chocolate fudge frosting
- Use a large star tip to pipe frosting in a circular motion starting from the center of the cookie.
Chocolate Fudge Frosted Sugar Cookies